TLILIC2014 – Licence to drive a light rigid vehicle

In order to obtain any Heavy Vehicle Licence in NSW, it is the law that you complete a Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment (HVCBA) with an Accredited Training Provider. At Core Driving School we are accredited to provide all aspects of theory and practical training and assessment to ensure you obtain your licence as soon as possible. We have extensive experience in training and assessing for LR licences and recently updated our LR bus used for running the course. Our LR Licence course is frequently attended by those wishing to join NSW Ambulance so that they are able to safely operate these vehicles.

Light Rigid Licence applies to:

  • Small trucks with a gross vehicle mass up to 8 tonnes.
  • Any towed trailer must not weigh more than 9 tonnes.
  • Buses that seat more than 12 adults (including the driver) up to 8 tonnes.

NSW Ambulance Service

The Light Rigid Licence course is run in two parts. Firstly with a trainer who will guide you through each skill required in the assessment and then the assessor. It can generally be completed in one day unless a student requires a little more time working on a particular skill. At Core Driving School it is our goal to ensure all students are equipped with all the necessary skills required to pass their assessment with confidence.

Under AQF/HVCBA, drivers are assessed against specific criteria relating to the safe operation of heavy vehicles. The assessment is then conducted under a range of conditions. The assessor must be accredited by the Transport for NSW and meet requirement under AQF/HVCBA, so that your training and assessment are conducted by different assessors. At Core Driving School we look after this for you and ensure that the assessor that delivers your training will not be the same assessor that conducts your Final Competency Assessment.

LR Truck Licence and Training Vehicle


To be eligible to attend the LR Licence course you must;

  • Have held a class C licence (except a Learner licence) or equivalent for one year or more.

Please note that any time spent on a P1 licence counts towards the year total however you are unable to practice on an LR vehicle or obtain an LR licence until you hold a P2 or full class C licence.

In order to attend a Light Rigid Licence course you must first attend an Service NSW office in person and;


  • Provide a completed Licence Application Form
  • Provide acceptable proof of identity
  • Pass an eyesight test
  • Provide a medical report (if applicable)
  • Pass the LR knowledge test
  • Pay the appropriate fee.

You will then be issued with a Heavy Vehicle HVCBA Learner’s Log Book and a copy of the Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment. The guide will provide you with all the necessary information required regarding what tasks you need to complete in the training and your final assessment. All progress is recorded in your log book which shows your progress in developing the skills required to upgrade your licence. It is important that you keep your Log Book until you have passed your final assessment.

Once you have successfully completed your Final Competency Assessment you simply attend an Service NSW centre to be issued with your upgraded licence.

We offer all our courses in the Sydney, Penrith, Campbelltown, Newcastle, Central Coast and Wollongong regions. We offer flexible training hours, including early morning and in the afternoons to fit with your schedule. If you meet appropriate criteria and wish to obtain your Light Rigid Licence, please call us on 1800 00 CORE or book online to ensure your place in our next LR course.