How Do I Get A Truck Licence?

Bus Driver Authority Course in Sydney

It’s a great question ‘how do I get a truck licence?’ and the answer is with Core Driving School. Accredited by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS), we cater for courses for the various truck licences including Light Rigid (LR), Medium Rigid (MR), Heavy Rigid (HR), Heavy Combination (HC) and Multi Combination (MC). We are a professional and reliable vehicle licence training and assessment provider and we pride ourselves on delivering outstanding training and guidance. We will be with you every step of the way.

We also do Forklift and Bus Authority Licences so we are multi-skilled and aimed to cater for all heavy vehicle driving courses. When you think ‘how do I get a truck licence?’, think Core Driving School; we are innovative from the core. We cater for Sydney to Newcastle, the Central Coast, Campbelltown, Wollongong and Penrith and furthermore, we operate seven days a week with flexible hours so that you can book in at your convenience.

LR Truck Licence Sydney

The Licences

How do I get a truck licence? With Core Driving School’s courses, that’s how. For you to obtain a Heavy Vehicle Licence for New South Wales, the law regulates that you need to complete a Heavy Vehicle Competency-Based Assessment (HVCBA) with an accredited training provider, which we are. A Light Rigid truck licence is common and is one that enables you to be able to drive a New South Wales ambulance safely and competently. The Light Rigid licence applies to small trucks with a Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) of up to eight tonnes, any towed trailer not weighing more than nine tonnes and buses that seat more than twelve adults including the driver, up to eight tonnes.

To be eligible, you need to have held a C class driver’s licence (not Learner’s) or equivalent for at least one year or more. The course is comprised of two parts, firstly engaging with each skill required for the assessment and then the assessment. It can be completed within one day unless there is further work to be done on a particular skill or skills. The Medium Rigid truck licence focuses on the key skills required for operating a heavy vehicle of Medium Rigid truck or bus with a GVM above eight tonnes and with two axles or any towed trailer weighing no more than nine tonnes.

The same one year or more requirement of holding a C class driver’s licence or equivalent is applicable to the Medium Rigid licence. The course involves theoretical approaches and practical aspects than the final competency assessment. The Heavy Vehicle truck licence applies to both trucks and buses with a Gross Vehicle Mass of more than eight tonnes and with three or more axles, articulated vehicles that are bendy buses (considered rigid vehicles) and any towed trailer that does not weigh more than nine tonnes GVM.

The course also involves theoretical and practical criteria plus the final assessment. Our courses don’t stop with LR, MR and HR; we also carry out a Heavy Combination truck licence course and these apply to people who wish to drive trucks with a single trailer or semi-trailer, vehicles such as prime movers, floats and low loaders. Core Driving School conducts Multi-Combination truck licence training and assessment. This licence permits you to drive vehicles with more than one trailer including B-Double, road trains, prime movers, low loader dolly and low loader trailer combinations. It is a versatile licence offering flexibility in what you can drive.

The Requisites And Assessment

Core Driving School prides ourselves on delivering exceptional training and ensures that you are confident in safely and competently manoeuvring the heavy vehicle so when you ask yourself ‘how do I get a truck licence?’, we are the answer to your question. The requisites include a completed Licence Application Form, acceptable proof of identity, passing an eyesight test and providing a medical report if necessary, passing the particular heavy vehicle licence assessment and paying the appropriate fee.

You will then obtain a Heavy Vehicle HVCBA Learner’s Logbook and a copy of the Guide to Heavy Vehicle Competency Based Assessment which will provide you with the information on the tasks and skills required to complete your training and then your final assessment. Your progress will be recorded in the logbook and you should keep this until you have passed your final assessment. ‘How do I get a truck licence?’ is easily answered with attending one of our heavy vehicle courses available seven days a week at your convenience; contact Core Driving School today!